Cutting Edge Brings Back the Stiffel Brand

stiffel

Cutting Edge Brings Back the Stiffel Brand

On February 5, Steven Filler, president of Cutting Edge Industries in New Jersey, and executives at Spectrum Brands (formerly known as Salton, Inc.) inked an agreement to sell the Stiffel®  brand to Cutting Edge for an undisclosed sum.

Filler has long been an admirer of Stiffel and had closely followed the sale of the company to Salton and even attended the auction years ago in the hopes of obtaining some original molds (which were ultimately acquired by Salton).

“Stiffel lamps were zinc casting and that’s exactly what we do. Our intent is to revive the brand,” Filler explains. A search for the original molds, which were sent to a Chinese factory when Salton moved production of the Stiffel line overseas, has turned up empty, but Filler is optimistic. He also has at his domestic factory’s disposal some 10,000 to 12,000 molds of classic lamp designs plus operates his own domestic shade shop through the Lite Tops division.

“The timing was right,” says Filler about the purchase, which involved roughly three to four months of negotiation. “American-made products are coming back.” Domestic manufacturer Cutting Edge Industries is uniquely qualified to handle high-quality production of the venerable brand.

The new Stiffel line will be targeted toward lighting showrooms and high-end shops as opposed to the mass merchants that had ended up distributing the brand through its last days at retail. “The lamps will have solid brass sockets and feature high-quality plating,” Filler explains. The initial product launch will be inspired by Stiffel designs of the past. “Wherever we can re-introduce original designs, we will,” Filler notes, adding, “We’re also going to roll with the times and offer some more contemporary styles.”

The price range for the lamps is expected to be in the $100-$125 wholesale range. The new Stiffel line will not be available in time for the spring High Point Market, however, production plans are well underway. The line will be manufactured entirely at the Cutting Edge factory in Linden, New Jersey.

Cutting Edge Industries manufactures classic lamp designs in the USA

Cutting Edge Industries manufactures classic lamp designs in the USA

Comments

1. Debra Baer says:

I have bought several 1950′s Stiffel lamps and I love them. By any chance did you obtain any old catalogs of old pictures of the old Stiffel lamps? I would love to buy shades for them but do not know how to order them. I would love ot see or buy an old catalog of stiffel. HELP!

• Linda Longo says:

Hi Debra! I apologize for the delay in responding. The company that will be making Stiffel lamps again might be able to help you with your catalog request. I will forward your request to them.

2. Marc Vermette says:

My wife and I own a few Stiffels, table and hanging, and have recently acquired one with the oval black paper number 885 in white. Does anyone know when it came in production? My dad in the forties told me he had read an article that suiggested Frank Lloyd Wright knew Ted Stiffel and shared ideas on designs of interior decoration and that Stiffel iontroduced some lamps that were dedicated to the famous architect. The look of this 885 certainly could have been one of those. Any idea anyone?

• Linda Longo says:

Hi Marc! I haven’t heard of a connection between Frank Lloyd Wright and Stiffel, but the idea is intriguing. I will send your inquiry to the American factory now producing Stiffel brand lamps.

3. I am interested in knowing if you will be making the Stiffel 9625PLC again. Please let me know. Thanks!

4. I am trying to replace the light socket ( ceramic) from a Stiffel # 08391.
    It is a reflector floor lamp we purchased brand new in 1993. We had problems with it and returned it to the lighting store in San Jose, Ca to be fixed at least 2 times. Then we just gave up and only used the 3 candeliabra lights.
    Would like to try again to get it to work. I took the socket out and it measures 2″W and 2 3/4 L. There are 3 long screws and 2 shorter ones that attach the socket to the receptacle. Can you help me locate a place that can repair it or help me find the right socket to replace?
    thanks

• Linda Longo says:

Hi Nancy! Thank you for writing in.
      You can contact the experts at Cutting Edge Interiors, the manufacturer that has taken over the Stiffel brand. Here is the address:
      Address: 1233 St Georges Ave, Linden, NJ 07036
      Phone:(908) 925-7500

5. I have a Stiffel floor lamp and weight that is inside the bottom of the lamp that keeps the lamp stable came apart and the plastic shell broke in half and fell out of the bottom of the lamp and i noticed that there was a part number on the bottom (#770-4113). Do you know if it would be possibe to find out if it is still available?

• Linda Longo says:

Hi Joe!
      I believe that not many of the original molds survived the company’s various transitions. However, here is the contact information for the factory that owns the Stiffel name currently:
      Cutting Edge
      Address: 1233 St Georges Ave, Linden, NJ 07036
      Phone:(908) 925-7500

6. In the 1960s, I bought 3 lovely new Stiffel hanging lamps, I cannot find clip shades that fit them. They will not take the spider type. The shades are 13′ across the top. The lamps are abt 25″long with pulls at the bottom to turn ithem off and on.. They swag or hang with bronze chains and are lovely. I have a place for one of them now. Help.

• Linda Longo says:

I can put you in touch with the factory that is now manufacturing lamps under the Stiffel brand. They have a lighting expert who can most likely help you out. Here is the info:
      Cutting Edge
      Address: 1233 St Georges Ave, Linden, NJ 07036
      Phone:(908) 925-7500

7. Weldon Shelton says:

I have been looking for vintage Stiffle catalogs without success.
    Do you know who might have them or reproductions of them
    Do you know if there are any plans to reproduce them
    Regards

• Linda Longo says:

Hi Weldon!
      I don’t believe that many editions of the old Stiffel catalogs survived the various company transitions. The factory that currently owns the Stiffel brand has had difficulty obtaining the original molds, but have been making styles that closely resemble some of the originals. Here is the contact information
      Cutting Edge
      Address: 1233 St Georges Ave, Linden, NJ 07036
      Phone:(908) 925-7500

8. Marilyn Laux says:

I am looking to replace the shades on my two 1970′s (brass & ivory) Stiffel Lamps.
    Where can I purchase replacement shades; 14 3/4″ X 16 1/4″ X 18 1/2″, Silk shantung, with gold band on top and gold cord on bottom of shade. I love the lamps but the shades have spots on them. I tried to spot clean and made them worse. HELP.

• Linda Longo says:

Hi Marilyn!
      The company that is now manufacturing lighting under the Stiffel brand also makes shades on-site at their NJ factory. It is quite possible that they have a shade that will fit the Stiffel lamp you have, even though it might not be from the original pattern. Here is their contact info:
      Cutting Edge