10 Facts You Didn’t Know About the Dallas Market
Whether you’re a market newbie or a multi-decade industry veteran, we bet there are a few things you don’t know about the Dallas Market Center (DMC) — some of which are new features that debuted at the successful International Lighting Market and Total Home & Gift Market, which concluded on January 21.
1. Dallas Market Center, is the world’s most complete wholesale merchandise resource and welcomes 200,000 buyers and conducts more than 50 trade and special events annually.
2. The World Trade Center has a high concentration of accent furniture, decorative accessories and lighting resources in the world, with more than 1 625,000 square feet on floors 5, 6 and 10 dedicated to the category.
3. It is estimated that it takes 650+ people to produce its big January and June Total Home & Gift Markets. 234 people are full time, the rest are market-time people.
4. The Dallas Market occupies 625,000 square feet on floors 5, 6, and 10 of the World Trade Center.
5. 50,000 people attend the January and June markets.
6. The DMC’s economic impact on Dallas is about $975 million annually (sales tax, restaurant meals, hotel rooms, airline seats, rental cars, taxi rides). That’s equal to Dallas hosting a Super Bowl every year.
7. Estimate business conducted inside the walls of the DMC is about $8.5 billion a year.
8. The Dallas Market Center has the largest concentration of permanent lighting ﬁxture companies in the world.
9. 45 shuttle buses operate on 12 different hotel routes with about 4 or 5 buses on each route
10. The DMC serves 10,000 Starbucks lattes during each January and June market from the Starbucks kiosk on Trade Mart 1